Update on Leitrim meeting in the Bee Park on 22/10/10
22 people attended an enthusiastic meeting in Leitrim on the 22nd of October. The organisers were delighted at the turnout as it was a particularly bad night. People still made an effort to come out which was greatly appreciated. These are briefly the main themes that were identified at the meet
1. Accountability/Responsibility in public office.
- Ethical, Transparent, Accountable not corrupt or sectional interest
- Can one have democracy with a party whip system?
- Change legislation to make those responsible for economic mess accountable in court
- Equity within society
- Taking responsibility
- Tough measures for white-collar crime
- Issue taken with lack of thoughtfulness and consideration of public servants
- In the future we must be able to TRUST our politician’s
- Accountability in governance and public service
- Political structures > corruption
2. Change in governance structures required to reflect
- Decisions get made at lowest level possible
- Call for overhaul of all public bodies, change of structure starting locally.
- Citizens information/advice offices to replace politicians constituency offices
- Decrease the number of politician’s
- Change political system to allow more women excel within it
- Issue taken with attitudes to small local businesses too much regulation.
- Property tax on unused land/property
- Local non-governmental democracy
- Streamlined, effective, value driven public services
- Redefined governance structures and funding
County ) Minimize central government
3. Items that reflect the need for Social Inclusion and fairness.
- Driven by a specific set of values, endorsed by citizens
- An economy designed to benefit people not institutions
- Equity within society
- Re-balance of property; rent must be allowed to change
- Issue taken with local media being non representative of local opinion and airing too many adds
- For the media to be more independent
- People and environment centred
- “Green” protected environment and good public access
- Socially inclusive society, priority, cross cutting
4. Sustainable business model
- Need for local solutions for a sustainable local economy
- Farmers reorganizing in co-operative or similar self help
- Sustainable agriculture
5. The notion of more active citizenship.
- Encourage public participation, including criticism of decisions
- Transition town developments example
- Widen into active citizenship
- Growing ourselves out self reliance/ frugality
- Call for a Day of Action in Sligo/Leitrim, this to happen before the budget
- Find ways of extending this conversation more widely
6. A few other ideas were also discussed.
- Strive towards best health service in Europe
- Strive towards best education system
- Burn the bond holders